Saturday 28 February 2015

Spanish 2nd Lusitania Dragoon Regiment - Connoiseur Miniatures



The 2nd Lusitania regiment prepares itself

As part of the 4th Spanish Cavalry Division the Dragoons of the 2nd Lusitania Regiment have often been much maligned as just "conscript style troops" that were typically second rate and good for little else than guarding prisoners and hauling supplies.  They did have their moments however to be fair, they were few and far between.

The Spanish Army had a particularly ugly day at Ocana in November 1809 which opened up the country to very aggressive French strategic manoeuvres that gave them a strong position, albeit temporarily, in Spain.

Connoisseur figures look perfect for this period

Another view as they manoeuvre into position
These are glorious Spanish dragoon figures from Connoisseur Miniatures, though I do think you could almost mistake them for Elite Miniatures as well.  Peter Moreby, the owner and sculptor for the latter I understand learnt quite a bit about sculpting wargames figures from Peter Gilder from Connoisseur so I guess that makes alot of sense.

Either way I find both ranges for this period superb!

8 comments:

  1. Mate, excellent. I don't think enough of us pay attention to either the Portuguese or the Spanish. Beautiful and colourful they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg, Did you happen to see the post of that Peninsular game we all played at MOAB those years ago? It was posted last month? I am sure they were your Rocket Troop in the photographs.

      Delete
  2. Lovely work on these - your Spanish force looks superb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking regiment! W\hen I start my Spanish army, some yellow coated Dragoons will definitely be in the mix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so unusual Peter that it looks perfect!! I know light troops generally are the gaudy ones however the entire Spanish Army, like the Neapolitans, are dressed beautifully for the parade ground. Not so much for the field!!

      Delete
  4. Ah, seeing these dudes reminded me I have a Spanish dragoon regiment in distinctive yellow. I've just gone and hunted them out, the Reina Regiment. So not quiet snap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would like to see them down at the club one night Mark as I am sure they are fine looking fellows!

    ReplyDelete